Friday, June 16, 2017

2017 Progress Report: April-Part 3

A lot happened during this week. I unwrapped a piece from a sagger firing the previous week. Three more raku firings were done. The backs of several ceramic was pieces were being worked on. A little bit of drawing was done as well. Even though a lot of work was done this week, April still isn't over there is still another whole week of the month left. Hopefully, Part 4 will be posted soon and we'll be able to finally put April to rest and move on to May. Until then, enjoy the pictures and leave a comment or share this post with anyone who might find this stuff interesting.

4/18/17: Since I can only be at the college two days a week, I had to wait nearly a week to open this. I like the way it turned out, so it will not have to be re-fired. Now I have to move on to cleaning and polishing.

4/18/17: There are thee glazes being used. I tried using different glazes on the edges  instead of doing everything by layers., although there is some overlapping.

4/18/17: I tried to be careful here. I didn't want to use so much glaze that it would  cover the texture, yet I also didn't want to use too little because the it would have to be re-fired. 

4/18/17: This was a little tricky to glaze because of all the curves and uneven surfaces.

4/18/17: The two square pieces are for the hanging hooks. The rectangular piece  is supposed to balance the ceramic piece on the wall.

4/18/17: This is a little tricky. The foam piece is supposed to be what properly balances the ceramic piece on the wall. With this one, it ended up not working too well, though I wouldn't find out until later. Looking bacon it, the foam piece should have been lowered.

4/18/17: Molding paste is being used to cover up the wood. At the bottom, the molding paste is being used to make the bottom stick out so when this piece eventually go on the wall, the top and bottom will be even.

4/19/17: Some additional work was done. With molding paste, it is sometimes easier to let something dry overnight and then add on to it the next day.

4/19/17: Canvas was added and gessoed. I warned from last year not to simply cover the wood with molding paste. This adds strength.

4/19/17: Canvas was added and gessoed. A lot of molding paste work will have to be done here.

4/19/17: The firing turned out okay. I like the colors, but there is some inconsistency. Some areas look glossy while other areas do not. I can fix this without firing it again by using polymer gloss. That's a trick I picked up on a while back.

4/19/17: The firing for this piece turned out perfectly.

4/19/17: The piece turned out okay for the most part, but it also had problems with inconsistencies. I can fix it later.

4/19/17: I did some more drawing. The drawing is in it's ugly phase right now. I made the mistake of not  smearing the charcoal enough. I'll have to fix this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment