Saturday, January 5, 2019

2018 Progress Report: October-Part 4

During the 4th week of October, I focused entirely on getting firings and wet clay work done, though I wish had gotten some more drawing done that week. I worked on three projects that had varying degrees of progress, at least in the studio. Although I don't have pictures of it in progress, I also spent the later half of October doing photography work outdoors to prepare for some digital projects, which was probably part of the reason I didn't any drawing work during the week.

That's all I have for right now. I'm trying to catch up on my posts and hopefully part 5 will be posted soon. Feel free to ask questions and leave comments. Also, share this post with anyone who might be interested. If you want to support me and my projects, you can donate to my Patreon or buy buttons from my Etsy store.


10/22/18: This piece finally got fired. Because of its size (at least 25" on its wide side), it took a while before there was enough room in the kiln to have this fired.

10/22/18: I finished glazing this piece. I'm trying to do an experiment with putting splotches of glazes down to see if it makes a big difference.

10/23/18: More P13 raku firings were done. the firings look pretty good, I think.

10/23/18: The raku firing for this piece got done. I learned a great deal from firing this piece. Even though I'm using a lot of the same glaze combinations on these pieces, I sometimes get metallic yellow on parts of a ceramic piece and I was never sure why. This piece may have answered that question. We had to put this piece in a separate trash can and the side that stuck out at the top turned yellow. We suspected that it was the rising smoke that caused the yellowing effect, which looks interesting.

10/23/18: I'm continuing work on this. It is surprisingly complex. There are a lot of pieces here.

10/24/18: In total, there are 20 small clay pieces that will eventually need to be glued onto the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment