Friday, October 30, 2020

2020 Progress Report: Pre-Pandemic

Welcome to a very unusual progress report. Now that I am finally getting everything back on track, I can share with you what was going on prior to the peak of the pandemic. 2020 was originally shaping up to be a big year with my main focus being on the completion of some mixed media projects I was working on last year and photography/digital art projects that would be more object-focused as opposed to the more environment-focused images from 2019. 2020 was also going to be a big year where I would begin to be more aggressive with the business side of things, especially since I was financially in the right place to be able to do so. Since my progress during the year didn't get far enough to have any images of what I was going to produce commercially, there's no point in talking about that, at least not right now. The images here were taken between February and early March. Even though 2020 was a bust for obvious reasons, these images do not focus on what could have been, but instead focus on what will eventually be. 

These seven images are all I have for right now. As long as everything goes right, there should be a lot in store over the next 24 hours. I plan on doing what I call a Halloween Address, something that I want to do annually. Also, I am planning on updating the design of this blog and rebranding it. I still haven't finalized a new name yet. I want it to be more interesting than the current name, something that'll grab anyone's attention. At the same time, I also want it to something simple. Anyway, feel free to ask questions and leave comments. Also, share this post with anyone who might be interested. If you want to support me and my projects, you can donate to my Patreon or visit from my Etsy shop (which is in need of a major update btw).

2/13/20: I first bought this pumpkin in late 2019 but it took a little while before I was able to do anything with it. This pumpkin would be the beginning of what would be my first photography/digital project of the year. There was a problem, however. The stem was broken and so I decided to make my own stem. The basic skeletal structure was made using foam board and hot glue.

2/13/20: The shape of the stem is further defined by pieces of canvas.

2/17/20: Fiber paste was used to help make the the shape and over texture seem even more natural.

2/20/20: The painting was done. Although it is hard to see in this picture, various shades of green and yellow were mixed together to create a somewhat convincing stem. Even the remnants of the actual stem was painted. The part where the stem is supposed to break off was darker than I wanted it to be and I eventually gave up trying to get the colors right. I figured that since this was going to be part of a digital photo project, I could always use photoshop to get the colors and contrast I wanted.

2/20/20: The pumpkins and turnips were carved and are ready for the photoshoot. For the sake of secrecy, I chose not to include a picture from the photoshoot on this blog post. The results of that photoshoot will be seen soon enough. If there is one regret I have, it's the face of the pumpkin. I wish it would have had a more neutral face. I think it would have worked better for what I wanted to do.

3/5/20: I finally did all the clay parts of this project. I resumed where I left off in the spring of 2019. Sadly, at this point, this project most likely won't be done before spring 2021.

3/5/20: Although it is hard to explain using only one picture, this is being used as a background image for my digital arts projects. It's nothing more than an index card applied with fiber paste and paint. The final image will be flat and distorted. The reason metallic paints are used here is to create highlights during the scanning process that are visible when the image is flattened. I'll have to create a post about this process at some point. 


 







No comments:

Post a Comment